Every once in a while we will come across a person claiming to be a Sky Soldier, a combat vet etc but we have some doubts. I have been asked several times  to check out a Vets and I had people tell me of imposters they have found. Here is what I found out that may help you expose a Fake.

Filing a  Freedom of Information (FOIA) request is not always necessary. To obtain your own service records, simply send a letter to the National Personnel Records Center, Army (Air Force or Navy) Records Center, 9700 Page Boulevard, St. Louis, MO, 63132. Give your full name, branch of service, social security number (or service number), and sign the letter.

To obtain the records of other veterans: If you have the veteranís cooperation, ask him to sign a Form DA-180 (available at; Front of the Form is at  http://www.archives.gov/publications/standard_forms/180_front.pdf, Back of the Form at  http://www.archives.gov/publications/standard_forms/180_back.pdf ), which is a proxy statement giving the National Personnel Records Center the authority to give the researcher all the data in the file releasable to the veteran, including the DD-214, which is not available under the Freedom of Information Act. Send that form to the National Personnel Records Center along with your letter, the veteranís full name and social security number. ( I cannot vouch for how quickly or easily a response will be received.)

If the veteran is not a cooperative subject, you must request the record under the federal Freedom of Information Act. Send a letter to the National Personnel Records Center, saying something like this: "Dear Sirs or Madams: I am requesting, under the federal Freedom of Information Act, the publicly-releasable form of the military record of John Jones Smith." (print out this example of the form, clicking here,)

You MUST cite the Freedom of Information Act to obtain a military record that is not your own.

Be sure to use a full and correctly-spelled name. With more than 80 million individual personnel records in the system, going back to the Revolutionary War, it's difficult to get a military record unless you have a full name and service number (for service prior to 1969) or social security number (post-1969). It also helps to include date of birth, home town, and general time of service, if you know it. (See example form by clicking here, Please fill out as much information as possible).

While many phonies claim their records were destroyed in the fire at the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis in 1973, very few Vietnam-era records were damaged. Those with the heaviest damage were Army records from 1912 to 1959; some 1947 to 1963 Air Force records in surnames I through Z were less seriously affected. Many of these records are duplicated at other locations such as the VA and the military finance office, and therefore can be reconstructed.

To gain a more comprehensive understanding of how military records can be used to verify military service, I urge you to order a copy of Stolen Valor (Click on the book)

some of the above info credited  and from; http://www.stolenvalor.com/foia.HTM